Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Notes....

I learned yesterday that Oscar was originally orange and that Cookie Monster had teeth. Go figure. I remember discovering Sesame Street when I was eleven and public television was still pretty new. I also remember feeling frustrated watching the same show with my own children and scratching my head at the changes, missing characters, new characters, etc. It all looked way too clean to be a city street. My favorite song when watching, lo, those many years ago was about all the street signs, and I can't find anything on the web about that song (...uptown, downtown, Fifth Avenue, home sweet home....). *SIGH*

How ironic that Goldman Sachs got H1N1 vaccine, and my children's pediatrician can't get any flu vaccine at all. Guess those fatcats need extra immunity protection, so they can keep throwing their (over)weight around. Back early in the twentieth century, if a company was too big to fail, it was called a trust and got busted into a bunch of little companies. Maybe that is what needs to happen to these monolithic financial institutions. At times in the last twenty years, these big banks have reminded me a bit of vacuum cleaners, sucking up smaller banks and spitting customer service out the side.

There is a big difference between willing to die for your faith (beliefs, religion, values), and being willing to kill for same. It's a shame Dr. Hasan ignored the difference. I pray that religious extremists of all types will experience epiphanies about those whom they demonize.

Apparently the best exercise to prevent osteoporosis is jumping up and down. I'm guessing that since that little tidbit made it into the NY Times, sales of jump ropes will soar. Gotta love America, home of the hunt for the quick fix.

I had a great idea last weekend to use my slow cooker to prepare dinner for my children, and hence reduce the take-out/eat out urge. The kids are home in the afternoon, and I don't get home until about dinnertime; Dad comes home very late (his choice). So far it has happened once this week. Still, I figure it's worth continuing to plug away. Today I'm thinking it might be easier to pile everything together and get it going after I get to work. That way I arrive home with hot food, and it might even feel like take-out to the kids, and therefore get kudos thence.

No comments:

Post a Comment